A die-hard tradition, these photos are from the Kirkland Plunge circa 2012
It's that time of year again where stupid and exhilarating collide. Get those last couple of sit-ups in and head on down to Marina Park on Monday January 1st in your skivvies. The Polar Plunge happens at 1pm SHARP, but get there early to huddle by the fire, talk up your big game and get mentally prepared to sprint with 200 of your best friends into the 48 degree water of Lake Washington. Extra cold this year with the air temp too! Good news-all of the lies and disgust of 2017 freeze in time and a new and inspiring story begins for 2018.
Tips wise and experienced polar plungers, verifiable brilliant advice:
- Bathing suit under sweats or whatever ridiculous costume you might decide to share w/your community at large (easy to get on/off)
- Shoes you can get wet. It hurts to run on those rocks in the shallow water
- Dry towel/blanket/change of clothes handy (hat for sure!)- bonus if you have someone holding these items for you on the ready (they also double as your camera-person to prove you actually did this and earn you some bragging rights)
- This whole thing is unsanctioned and "at your own risk" so might as well go BIG. In my book, it doesn't count if you just dip up to your shoulders. RUN like you mean it. Fully submerge. You'll be glad in about 10 minutes.
- Bring canned food items for donation. This way if you don't survive the plunge, everyone will remember you as generous and giving. win/win
- Go check out a local business that can provide you with a hot toddies, some warm soup, or a cup of joe. You'll feel so good you'll be buying rounds for your friends.
Congrats, you have made it 2018! Looking fwd to a new year of crazy with you all. xo
ps- check out this video of Santa and some of his helpers skiing Lake Washington on Christmas day. Just watch 9:15-10:15. That's some serious holiday commitment (not that's not me, but I would totally do it..)